Company: EarthEnable Uganda
Reports to: Manager of Districts
Location: Multiple locations in Eastern Uganda
Compensation: Starts modest with potential for significant for performance based raises
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 400,000 square feet of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
About the Role
This role will work with our operation team at one of our District offices. The person is responsible for overseeing the district construction team including masons and supervisors. This role has a wide range of responsibilities including mason management, inventory management, logistics, and auditing of quality. We are looking for someone who is adept at detailed planning, logistics, a quick learner, and a self-starter. He or she will work closely with the District Manager to ensure that we build both the quantity and quality of floors required.
The specific tasks of this role include:
- Ensuring that floors within your district meet the standard of quality set by the Regional Operations Manager and the quality assurance team
- Overseeing logistics surrounding procurement and movement of materials and materials usage
- Training construction supervisors and supervise mason trainings
- Managing 1-5 construction supervisors and up to 50 contracted masons
- Conducting daily spot checks of ongoing construction
- Ensuring equipment and material movements to clients are logged into inventory system
- Ensuring Salesforce and reporting is up-to-date
- Supporting management team in strategizing around operational cost reductions and improvements to quality
- Any other duty that may be assigned to you by your manager from time to time.
- Diploma holder with preference to those with a background in construction management, civil engineering, environmental sciences, or logistics
- 2+ years of work experience with at least 1 year managing several people
- Strong people management skills with the ability to manage contract staff
- Manage complex scheduling and logistics of large numbers of staff and materials
- Ability to work independently
- Fluency in English and Lusoga
- Strong skills MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.