Company: EarthEnable Rwanda
Reports to: Rwanda Managing Director
Location: In one of EarthEnable’s current or soon-to-be district offices (Bugesera, Rwamagana, Ngoma, Gatsibo, Nyagatare, Huye, Gisagara, and Gicumbi)
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 75% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 70% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 40,000 square meters of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
About the Role
At EarthEnable, District Managers have significant autonomy to set a strategy, build a team, and manage a budget in whatever way they feel will make the largest impact. We are looking for someone who is excited to take on the challenge of leading 1-3 Districts (depending on experience) to achieve great success. The Rwanda Manager of Districts will have access to significant mentorship, coaching, and guidance from the Rwanda Managing Director and the Global Directors (including the CEO) to develop the organization’s strategic plans and to brainstorm solutions to challenges, but will be ultimately responsible for leading their team to implement these strategies.
The successful candidate will be willing to get his or her hands dirty and spend time in rural areas with customers, sales reps, masons, and their supervisors, in order to coordinate work, while having an eye for the bigger picture and growth projections of the district. We are looking for someone who is adept at detailed planning, a quick learner, and an entrepreneurial self-starter.
The responsibilities of this role will include, but certainly not be limited to:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Work with Rwanda Managing Director and Global Directors to develop strategy, set operational targets, and manage execution of strategy within his or her districts
- Manage execution and coordination of strategy across departments in district to avoid inconsistencies or overlap in work streams
- Go to customer sites and/or field staff trainings to ensure quality and effective implementation several times weekly
- Manage overall administration and operations of EarthEnable in districts, including ensuring that KPIs are hit
- Work closely with the Senior Manager of Government Relations to represent EarthEnable and its organizational ethic to senior district government officials and other partner organizations
- Build capacity of the district staff to lead their functions independently through active management, teaching, and support
- Report regularly to the senior management team, including participation in management meetings at the head office
- Ultimate profit and loss responsibility for the district: drive revenue to cover operational costs, working closely with the finance department to analyze budgets and actuals across various units
- Ensure fiscal responsibility in all the district’s budgets and spending, findings areas for cost savings and increased resourcefulness
- 3-5 years of work experience, with 3+ years of management experience (experience with fast-growing ventures is a plus)
- Exceptional people skills and managerial skills; avid team player with a coaching and mentoring approach
- Grittiness to work in rural environments across Rwanda
- Resourcefulness and critical thinking skills to quickly determine why something isn’t working and iterate quickly to try to solve it
- Strong analytical and technology skills, including Excel modelling and data analysis
- Fluency (or advanced business proficiency) in English and Kinyarwanda
- A. in business, management, marketing, economics or a related field required; graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, MPH etc.) a plus, but not required
Apply online at http://www.earthenable.org/applynow-3. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it