Company: EarthEnable Rwanda
Reports to: Rwanda Manager of Districts
Location: One of our current districts of operation (likely in Eastern Province)
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 75% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 70% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 4 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 60,000 square meters of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
About the Role
The Construction Associate will oversee all floor construction and general field operations within one of our District offices. He or she will be responsible for managing the masons and mason supervisors (at least 20-30 people) and hold direct responsibility for quality floor construction within the district. We are seeking a self-starter individual who is quick to learn and skilled in planning and logistics in order to manage a large team scattered across a district. He or she will work closely with the Manager of Districts to ensure that we build a high quantity of high-quality floors.
Responsibilities of this role include:
Overseeing Floor Construction
- Ensure that all floors sold within the district are built in a timely manner and meet the standard of quality set by the Senior Operations Manager and the Quality Assurance team
- Conduct regular (multiple times a week) spot checks of ongoing construction in order to monitor quality of floor construction as well as performance of masons and constructions supervisors
Logistics and Planning
- Oversee logistics surrounding procurement and movement of materials
- Ensure equipment and material movements to clients are logged into inventory management system, and monitor materials usage to catch any inconsistencies in the data
- Support management team in strategizing and executing around operational cost reduction strategies in the district as well as potential quality improvements
- Manage 1-5 construction supervisors and up to 50 contracted masons to ensure proper fulfillment of all construction projects
- Train construction supervisors and supervise mason trainings across the district
- College graduate with strong academic record
- A knack for logistics and a passion for helping people to improve their lives through our product
- Strong people management skills and a passion for helping to build a strong team of operations
- Commitment to impact and strong interest in community development
- Ability to work extremely independently
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Google Docs
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow-3. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.